Look here for a quick answer to typical questions asked by our participants. If you can't find an answer please contact us for more details.

Q: How do I apply for Tribal TANF?

A:  Contact your nearest WNTP office in order to determine if you are eligible for cash aid and services.

Q: What locations does the Washoe Native TANF Program (WNTP) serve?

A:  WNTP has six (6) offices serving eight counties in California and has two (2) offices serving two (2) Counties in Nevada. Please refer to office locations on the home page.

Q: How do I find out if I may be eligible?

A: WNTP screens for potential eligibility using an Eligibility Screening Form which includes 3 questions:

  1. Is there at least one (1) qualifying Native America Indian child? (Washoe affiliation in Nevada)?
  2. Is the family residing within the service area of one of our locations?
  3. What is the family’s total gross monthly income and is it below the WNTP Family Income Limit (200% of US poverty level)?

If you answered yes to all of the above, you must complete and submit an application with applicable verifications and meet all basic eligibility criteria including but not limited to the following: have at least one Native American minor living in your home for which you are providing care, at least one member of your household must be a member or a descendent of a federally recognized Native American tribe or be a descendent of a family member listed on the California Indian Judgment Rolls (in California), be a member or a descendent of the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California (in Nevada) and have countable income equal to or less than 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.

Q:  How long does the application process take?

A: Once it has been determined that you may be potentially eligible for services from WNTP, we will review and evaluate your application, applicable documentation, and obtain verifications.  WNTP will determine your eligibility within 30 days of the date the Eligibility Screening Form was completed.

Q: What is considered 200% of the federal poverty level for cash assistance?

A: The U.S. Federal Poverty Level guidelines are issued each year by the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) at the link:  https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines. These guidelines are used for determining income eligibility for certain federal programs, such as WNTP. Income eligibility is based on the sum of the family’s total gross income less income excluded under federal law.

Q: Can I get a same-day appointment?

A: It may be possible to schedule an appointment for an Intake interview the day you complete the Eligibility Screening Form based on the availability of WNTP staff. In addition, you must complete the entire intake package prior to attending the intake appointment.

Q: What if I’m Native American but I’m not enrolled?

A: You must be able to obtain verification from your tribe that proves your Native American lineage.

Q: If I have received assistance and have reached the 60 month time limit, may I still receive assistance for my children?

A: In California, once a family is ineligible to receive federally funded TANF assistance due to the federal time limit, WNTP may continue to provide assistance to the eligible children of the timed-out family using State of Maintenance of Effort (MOE) funds if funds are available and provided to WNTP by the State of California.

Q: What Supportive services am I eligible for?

A: WNTP provides a number of Supportive Services to income-eligible families to assist them overcome barriers while meeting their required work participation activities. Each Supportive Service request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis depending on the identified need, reasonableness, and goal towards self-sufficiency. These include but are not limited to:

  • Transportation Services
  • Gas Allowance
  • Vehicle Repair
  • Educational Activities and Supplies
  • Child care
  • Employment Support Services
  • Job skill training fees and tuition
  • Marriage Formation
  • Baby Needs
  • Emergency expenses

Q: Can I work and still get assistance?

A: Depending on the amount of earnings you receive, you may still be eligible to receive WNTP cash assistance. If your earnings exceed the allowable limit of 200% but less than 300%, you may be eligible to receive Transitional Services up to twelve (12) months per lifetime or $10,000 (whichever comes first). Supportive Services are limited to work related expenses.

Q.: Do my children need to live with me to receive services?

A.: At least one Native American minor under age 18, or under 19 (if they are still attending a secondary or equivalent school) must reside with you in your home. You may only receive cash aid for those minor children living in your home. It is your responsibility to notify us, when your child leaves your home or reaches age 18 (or 19) in the month this occurs. Please contact your nearest WNTP office for more information.

Q: If I find a job and no longer qualify for cash assistance, are there any other services I would qualify for?

A: Whether you will remain eligible for cash assistance depends on a number of factors, including the number of family members on your household cash aid grant, whether or not you have reached your 60 month time limit, your gross income and when you receive your wages. Your Case Manager can help you understand whether you might continue to receive some cash assistance and for how long.

Q: If I am  taking care of a relative child, am I eligible for assistance?

A: Under most circumstances, you may be able to receive cash assistance and some supportive services for the relative children that are living with you. As a non-needy caretaker relative you must be related by blood, tribal culture or tradition, with legally conferred guardianship (other than parent) by a tribal, federal or state court, having the duty and authority to provide care and control of that child(ren).

Q: If a caretaker relative has no income, can they be on the grant?

A: No, WNTP only provides assistance to the Non-Needy Caretaker Relative in order  to support the needs of children on the grant.  The caretaker relative is not included on the grant, income and resources of the relative are not considered and this Non-Needy Relative Grant will not affect the 60 month time limit for TANF benefits.

Q: If I am disabled and receiving SSI/SDI, am I eligible for assistance?

A: If you or a family household member are receiving SSI/SDI your family may still be eligible for aid and services with WNTP depending on the family composition and the individual that is receiving SSI/SDI.

Q: What if I am not a U.S. Citizen?

A: If one spouse is undocumented and not a Lawful Permanent Resident and the other spouse is a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident, your family members may still be eligible for assistance.

Q: If I live with another adult, who is not my partner, is their income counted?

A: No, their income is not counted in your grant calculation. However, supportive service requests may take into account their living in the same household.

Q: How many days do I have to notify my Case Manager of any changes to my family circumstances?

A: You are required to inform WNTP within five (5) days of any changes including but not limited to family income, family resources, number of persons in the household, changes of address, children’s school attendance or living arrangement which may affect eligibility for assistance.

Q: Will I be eligible to receive benefits if I fail my drug screening requirement?

A: Yes, however in order to remain eligible you must participate in a substance abuse assessment and possibly attend counseling sessions or enroll in a rehabilitation program. WNTP will continue assistance to the family through a voucher system, protective payee, or deny/reduce/terminate benefits until participant compliance.

Q: How does the WEX program in Nevada work?

A: In Nevada, every income-eligible adult TANF participant may be eligible for WNTP’s Work Experience Program (WEX). Contact your Case Manager to be referred to your local Job Developer for more details.

Q: If my bills exceed my TANF grant, will my TANF grant amount increase?

A: No, grant amounts are based on household composition and the Maximum Aid Payment (MAP) for your service area.

Q: Why do I have to turn in timesheets and MERs?

A: Timesheets are required to document required work participation as outlined in the Federal Regulations and WNTP’s Tribal Family Assistant Plan. Monthly Eligibility Reports (MERs) are submitted on a monthly basis in order to determine continued eligibility.

Q: What happens if I get a job?

A: Report it within five (5) to your Case Manager and report it with copies of your paycheck stubs on your MER.As long as your total monthly gross income is below the 200% WNTP income limit, your family may still be eligible to assistance.

Q: When is a new baby added to the grant?

A: The next month of eligibility, if baby was born on March 13, s/he would be added to the grant in March but you wouldn't receive payment for him until April as cash grants for March have already been issued.

Q: What trainings/job skills are available?

A: Available trainings and job skill classes can be found at this link (Don – can you link to Classes and Workshops)

Q: I currently have CalFresh and Medi-Cal with the county – Does this mean I have to apply for Cash Aid through the county too?

A: If you are receiving assistance from a food program or medical program, you may still be eligible to WNTP Cash Assistance as long as you meet WNTP eligibility requirements. If you are not receiving food and medical assistance, WNTP will request that you apply for food and medical through the County and/or State to see if your family would be eligible to those benefits. However, if you are currently receiving Cash Aid from another County, State, or Tribal TANF program, you are not eligible to receive Cash Aid from WNTP. 

Go to top